Native American Outreach Program
Get to know us!
The Native American Outreach program was launched in 2003 to:
In 2008, Banner Alzheimer’s Institute assumed oversight of the Native American Outreach program and since then has forged working relationships with Arizona tribal and urban Indian communities as well as Native American health organizations.
Our Native American Outreach program features these community and caregiver services:
- Customized outreach and education programs designed to increase community knowledge and awareness of Alzheimer’s disease/dementia as well as offer information about caregiving strategies. Topics include tips to maintain memory, techniques for caregivers to avoid unnecessary arguments when caring for people with dementia and meaningful activities for people with dementia.
- Experienced speakers for Native American conferences and outreach events.
- A statewide Native American Alzheimer’s and Dementia conference in locations throughout Arizona.
- Native American Caregiver Circle Group, a group to discuss Alzheimer’s disease and provide strategies for caregivers of people with memory loss. Anyone who is wanting to learn more about this important topic, including caregivers, family members and professionals, are invited and encouraged to join our conversation. Group discussions held from 10 - 10:30 am (Ariz. time) on the second Thursday of each month. Please email Nicole for dial-in details or questions.
- Continuing medical education (CME) and continuing education units (CEU) for tribal health care providers and Indian Health Services
- Alzheimer's Disease in Native American Communities pre-conference, introduced in 2008
- The Banner Alzheimer’s Institute team sponsors outreach programs to recruit and retain elderly Native American volunteers for the normal aging and cognitive study. Other clinical trials and neuroimaging studies also are available.
- A new iteration of the Beacon, a free monthly electronic newsletter, created for family and professional caregivers working with tribal communities. To sign up, please email us.
- Navigating through Memory Loss: A guide for patients and families, an exceptional resource that addresses current and ongoing Alzheimer’s/dementia medical, emotional, social and financial needs. Please email Nicole Lomay for more information about cost and shipping.